When we first began homeschooling, over three years ago now, I knew what I wanted. I had in my mind what I wanted our school to look like. I just had no idea how to make it happen. I knew that I wanted a ton of great literature, a heavy emphasis on history, plenty of science, obviously the three R’s, and all under this big umbrella of God’s Word. Now, it’s possible to find all this on your own and piece together your own curriculum, but it isn’t easy. Trust me, I’ve tried. So…after a year of piecing together a not-so-great curriculum, I got a Sonlight catalog in the mail. My first thought was, “Oh great…another curriculum that I’ll probably buy, then hate and never look at again.” But, as soon as I opened the pages and realized that even if I hated the curriculum, the books alone would be worth it, I immediately changed my tune! I now have been through Core C, Core D, and Core Pre ¾, and here are the things I love about Sonlight.
- Great Literature. As in….I have yet to read a book that we didn’t ALL love. What’s so great is that many times my kids have started the book hesitantly after seeing the cover and about a third of the way through, they are absolutely engrossed. Sonlight has taught my children not to judge a book by its cover.
- Biblical Worldview. We have had our eyes opened. It is through this curriculum that we all were introduced to the lives of selfless missionaries. We learned the importance of spreading the gospel to the entire world. We learned about the different religions and why we can rest assured knowing that God is the one, true God.
- Living Books. Rather than learning from textbooks, generally written by people simply trying to convey information, living books are written by people actually invested in the subject matter. Therefore, they are going to be more knowledgeable, more passionate, and more engaging to the reader. Living books teach us history, science, and even math (check out Life of Fred!) without us ever knowing we are learning! Isaac’s favorite subject for the past two years? History! Why? Because Sonlight makes it come alive through living book selections!
- Flexibility. Our first year, it was easy for us to stay on schedule. This year, I had more kids “in school” (and one in public school even!), and I wanted to get a little more depth in some of our science subjects, so we slowed down considerably and got through half of the 36 week year. However, we had a great, FULL year, and I don’t feel at all like we “didn’t finish” or left things incomplete. We will pick up where we left of next year (and probably a little bit this summer when it gets really hot and boring around here). I’m also kind of a creative person. While I’m not exactly an artsy person, I do love projects, so I enjoy the flexibility of doing the suggestions in the schedule or taking my own direction….or a direction I found on Pinterest. 🙂
- Fosters Discussion. We have had some amazing discussions spurred by what we’ve studied. Discussions about religion, George Washington, the unreached people groups of Asia, and adoption have all been a product of Sonlight literature. In many cases, God has used this curriculum to change our hearts and prepare our hearts for what He wants to do in our family.
There are about a million other reasons I could list as to why I love Sonlight, but I will resist the urge to keep going. I don’t know that Sonlight is right for every family, but it’s right for us, and I see it being right for us for several years to come. If you are interested in Sonlight, check out the banner below. It will take you to the website where you can check it out for yourself. It’s a referral link, so if you choose to buy from this link, our family will get credit on our next purchase (thank you!). However, even if you aren’t a homeschooler, I would highly recommend taking a look over the booklist and having several of these books on hand for your child to pick up and read over the summer.
Be sure to check back later this week. I’ll be telling you about our favorite Math curriculum and our Writing Process!